Monday, May 28, 2012

Day Three: School, ancient architecture, and family shout-outs

Today was the first day of class, so we got to see the study abroad building.  And, honestly, UT should take some notes.  Il Centro di Studi Americani is on Via Michelangelo Caetani, and I can say that publicly because anyone could Google it anyway and they totally regulate who can and cannot enter the building (so don't worry, Mom).  Mainly, I just like to say these names out loud.  You should try.  (Caetani is Ka-eh-tah-nee, sort of.)


Check out the flags at the door!
Our courtyard. All of this just for us.


The school is surrounded by statues, and has the most amazing courtyard.  It's just gorgeous to look at, and today it rained, so I stood on the balcony for a while and watched the droplets tumble down.  (Again, don't worry, Mom.  The statues are modest.  You can see where the Italian government went back and guaranteed they would be.)


This is one of about eight
pale fellows keeping us
company.

Fig leaf modesty!

And finally, our classroom has frescoes.  ON THE CEILING.  What on earth?  How am I supposed to focus on a powerpoint when there is so much to see above my head?

There are frescoes EVERYWHERE!
The room is longer than it
is wide, which is odd.

After class, it was still raining, so we all dashed across the street to the first restaurant we saw and paid way too much money for a plate of way too much spaghetti and gnocchi.  It was good, but Italians don't do to-go for leftovers, so it was kind of a waste to have so much food.  Only one of the guys in the group managed to finish--no one else did.  But oh well.  First world problems… (Except that isn't funny because it is so true.  Harsh, Joanna.  Harsh.)

Lunch!  And photos of water!

Anyway, this afternoon, I went to buy a burner phone.  I'm kind of regressing, because I am amazed by my not-so-clever phone.  It's really light, and the battery lasts for days.  But it doesn't have the internet, so them's the rub, I guess.  Also, if you are able to make/afford international calls, let me know, and I'll send you the number.  Because in Italy, receiving calls is free, so anyone in the US can call me and it is so not my problem. (Unless you forget that I am 7 hours ahead of you…)

They made me look
like a tourist!

Then Sophia and I went to the Pantheon, where we met up with her friend Aaron, who is currently bouncing around Europe, having a grand ol' time.  Those two seem to be extreme photogs, so taking a picture of them together was a hassle for me.

See the layered coffers?  Perfect
squares, but not perfectly centered.

The Pantheon was awesome, though, because it has this huge occulus at the top, and a coffered dome.  Sophia kindly informed us that the coffers may be an interesting architectural feat, but really, they simply  lessened the weight of the dome so that it would be possible.

Then, one of the images looked--out of the corner of my eye--like the Texas A&M logo, so I took a picture to use as a shout-out to my darling sister, Barbara.  (Hey, BJ!  I miss you!)  But apparently I'm just blind, because the image definitely doesn't bear the resemblance.

Do you see the logo?  On the right?
We ended the outing with listening to an a cappella choir in the church I mentioned in the previous post, and then going for gelato.  Quite a nice adventure, if I do say so myself.  But I was exhausted when I got home, and after dinner, I went to read.  But, instead, I taught Simonetta the computer.  She has never used one before and "cursor" isn't exactly in my Italian vocabulary, so that was fun.

The music was beautiful, like the art.

I feel like these are good problems to have. :)  I hope you all are enjoying your summers, as well!  (And Dad, I really don't mind if you drive my car to work. :P Just saying'.)


P.S.  Everyone who reads this should email me your mailing address so that I can start sending out postcards!

No comments:

Post a Comment